2013 Frank R. Kleffner Lifetime Clinical Career Award
Call for Nominations
Deadline for Nominations: March 22, 2013
The American Speech-Language-Hearing Foundation (ASHFoundation) requests nominations for the 2013 Frank R. Kleffner Clinical Career Award, an award to be made to an individual in recognition of outstanding contributions to clinical science and practice in communication science and disorders over a 20 year or longer period.
The lifetime contribution may have been in clinical service, supervision or administration of clinical service, clinical research or any other activity which has promoted clinical excellence.
The Kleffner Award is an honor in recognition of Frank R. Kleffner, a former ASHFoundation president and former ASHA president, who worked tirelessly to professionalize and expand the charitable goals of the ASHFoundation.
The award is a signal of honor for the recipient and is symbolized by the presentation of a commemorative art object with a recognition plaque. The recipient of the 2013 Kleffner Award will be announced and recognized at the 2013 ASHA Convention in Chicago, Illinois.
Criteria for Selection
Nominees for the 2013 Frank R. Kleffner Clinical Career Award should demonstrate outstanding contributions to clinical practice under the following conditions.
- The individual's work can have been done anywhere in the world.
- The contributions made by the individual must have been specific and multiple with significant impact on recipients of service.
- The contributions made by the individual must have altered or accelerated the course of quality of clinical care in audiology and/or speech-language pathology.
- The individual need not be a member of a professional association but should exemplify the ideals of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association and its advocacy for effective human communication.
View past Kleffner Award recipients and their achievements.
All nominations for the 2013 Kleffner Award must be submitted through the online submission system. For instructions on how to start your nomination, please see the Submission Procedures below. Since the Review Panel is dependent upon the information provided, it is important that the required materials are prepared carefully. Absence of requested information will automatically exclude any potential candidate from consideration.
Nominators must complete the online Nomination and Summary Form and upload the prepared Nomination Document, according to the instructions provided.
- Nomination and Summary Form (online)
To complete this form, nominators will be asked to provide the following information:
- Nominee's contact information
- Nominators contact information
- Summary Statement: In three sentences or less, state why this individual was nominated, highlighting the specific achievement.
- Nomination Document (one PDF file, limit 18 pages)
The following required components should be compiled into one PDF file for submission.
- Nomination Narrative (addressed to Review Panel), including the following section headers:
Case for Support: Provide evidence of support for the nomination through letters, statements, or a combination of both. These testimonials documents should be from audiologists, speech-language pathologists, or related professionals and, where appropriate, from a recipient of services (a family member of individual served).
Nominee's vita. (The nominee’s vita is not counted as part of the 18-page limit.)
- Education and Career Summary: A summary of candidate's education and career, including academic and professional honors received.
- Specific Contributions and Significance: A description of the nominee's specific contributions to clinical services (described in sufficient detail to distinguish these from generic activities). Indicate the corresponding significance of the effects of those contributions, especially as they relate to items 2, 3, and 4 in the Criteria for Selection section.
All sections of the Nomination Documents must be transmitted as ONE sequential PDF file. Font size should be set at 12 point, non-compressed font with margins of at least one (1) inch. The Nomination Documents should be single spaced and will be limited to not more than eighteen (18) pages. The nominee's vita is not counted as part of the 18-page limit.
Nominations for the 2013 Frank R. Kleffner Lifetime Clinical Career Award will be accepted between now and March 22, 2013. In order to submit a nomination for this award, please take the following steps:
- E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org and include "2013 Kleffner Nomination" in the subject line and include your ASHA membership number, if applicable, in the body of the e-mail.
- Within 24 business hours you will receive a reply e-mail providing the link to the Kleffner Award Nomination Site.
- Once the link for the Kleffner Award Nomination Site is provided, complete the online Nomination and Summary Form and upload your prepared Nomination Document (one PDF file).
No extensions will be granted beyond the March 22 deadline. Confirmation that your submission has been received will be sent by e-mail.
Please direct questions to the ASHFoundation Program Administrator via 301-296-8703 or email@example.com.