2014 Rolland J. Van Hattum Award for Contribution in the Schools
Call for Nominations
Deadline for Nominations: April 11, 2014
The American Speech-Language-Hearing Foundation (ASHFoundation) invites nominations for the 2014 Rolland J. Van Hattum Award for Contribution in the Schools. This award will be made to one individual in recognition of exemplary commitment and contribution to the delivery of audiology and/or speech-language pathology services within a school setting.
The Van Hattum Award is a memorial recognition of Rolland J. Van Hattum who had a long and distinguished career in the provision of services and support of audiology and speech-language pathology in the schools. He believed strongly in the dedication and professionalism of his colleagues in the schools and, until his death in 1987, continued to advocate for the support and recognition of their achievements. This award was established to advance the work of school-based professionals in serving persons with communication disorders.
A plaque and an award of $1,000 will be given to the recipient of the 2014 Rolland J. Van Hattum Award. In addition, $500 will be awarded to the school system that the recipient represents, to further the work for which she/he is being honored. The recipient will be announced and honored at the November 2014 ASHA Convention in Orlando, Florida.
Criteria for Selection
A nominee for the 2014 Van Hattum Award should demonstrate outstanding commitment and specific contribution to the delivery of audiology and/or speech-language pathology services in a school setting. Eligible activities or achievements for which the award will be given could include, but would not be limited to:
- the conduct of exemplary clinical services, supervision, or research in a school setting;
- the development of an innovative program (e.g., clinical, training) in a school setting with an emphasis on those that are replicable; or
- the promotion or enhancement of public or private support for audiology and speech-language pathology services in the schools.
Following are specific eligibility criteria that should be addressed in the nomination:
- The nominee must be an audiologist or speech-language pathologist employed by a school system (e.g., serving pre-K through high school setting). Excludes individual or agency contractors.
- The contribution for which the individual is nominated must have been made within a school system.
- The nominee's commitment to the delivery of services in the schools must be evidenced by a specific activity or achievement or a series of related integrated activities resulting in the achievement of a common goal.
- The contribution of the nominee must reflect a direct, observable, and demonstrable impact.
- The nominee's commitment and contribution to the delivery of services in the schools must be clearly identified as outstanding (e.g., innovative; creative in utilization of resources; collaborative efforts).
View past Van Hattum Award recipients and their achievements.
All nominations for the 2014 Van Hattum Award must be submitted through the online submission system. For instructions on how to start your nomination, please see the Submission Procedures below. Since the Review Panel is dependent upon the information provided, it is important that the nomination materials are prepared carefully. Absence of required information will automatically exclude any potential candidate from consideration.
Nominators must complete the online Nomination and Summary Form and upload the prepared Nomination Document, according to the instructions provided.
- Nomination and Summary Form (online)
For this form on the online submission system, nominators will be asked to provide the following information:
- Nominee's contact information
- Nominator's contact information
- Summary Statement: In three sentences or less, state why this individual was nominated, highlighting the specific achievement.
- Nomination Document (one PDF file, limit 10 pages)
The following required components should be compiled into one PDF file for submission.
- Nomination Narrative (addressed to the Review Panel). Provide a brief biographical introduction to the nominee, summarizing his or her educational and career activities.
- Describe the nominee's contributions to the advancement of audiology and/or speech-language pathology service delivery in the school setting. Address the following specific areas, using these statements as narrative headers.
Case for Support: Provide evidence of support for the nomination through letters, statements, or a combination of both. These testimonial documents should be from audiologists, speech-language pathologists, or related professionals and, where appropriate, from a recipient of services (or family member of individual served).
- The nature of the individual's contribution (i.e., primary contribution and related achievements).
- The way in which the individual's contribution is outstanding and unique.
- The direct impact (both short-term and long-term) and significance of the contribution.
- The target population served by the activity or achievement.
All sections of the Nomination Document should be uploaded as ONE sequential PDF file. Font size should be set at 12 point, non-compressed font with margins of at least 1 inch. The Nomination Document should be single spaced and will be limited to not more than 10 pages. Any page(s) exceeding the limitation will be removed before circulation to the Review Panel.
Nominations for the 2014 Rolland J. Van Hattum Award for Contributions in the Schools will be accepted between now and April 11, 2014. In order to submit a nomination for this award, please take the following steps:
- E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org and include "2014 Van Hattum Nomination" in the subject line and include your ASHA membership number, if applicable, in the body of the e-mail.
- Within 24 business hours you will receive a reply e-mail providing the link to the Van Hattum Award Nomination Site.
- Once the link for the Van Hattum Award Nomination Site is provided, complete the online Nomination and Summary Form and upload your prepared Nomination Document (PDF file).
No extensions will be granted beyond the April 11 deadline. Confirmation that your submission has been received will be sent by e-mail.
Please direct questions to the ASHFoundation Program Administrator at 301-296-8703 or email@example.com.