2016 Frank R. Kleffner Lifetime Clinical Career Award
Call for Nominations
Begin the online submission process.
Deadline for Nominations: April 11, 2016
The American Speech-Language-Hearing Foundation (ASHFoundation) requests nominations for the 2016 Frank R. Kleffner Clinical Career Award, an award to be made to an individual in recognition of outstanding contributions to clinical science and practice in communication science and disorders over a period of at least 20 years.
The lifetime contribution may have been in clinical service, supervision or administration of clinical service, clinical research or any other activity which has promoted clinical excellence.
The Kleffner Award is an honor in recognition of Frank R. Kleffner, a former ASHFoundation president and former ASHA president, who worked tirelessly over his lifetime until his passing in 2015 to professionalize and expand the charitable goals of the ASHFoundation.
The award is a signal of honor for the recipient and is symbolized by the presentation of a commemorative art object with a recognition plaque. The recipient of the 2016 Kleffner Award will be announced and recognized at the 2016 ASHA Convention in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
Criteria for Selection
Nominees for the 2016 Frank R. Kleffner Clinical Career Award should demonstrate outstanding contributions to clinical practice under the following conditions.
- The individual's work may be accomplished anywhere in the world.
- The contributions made by the individual must have been specific, over a period of 20 years or more, with significant impact on recipients of service.
- The contributions made by the individual must have altered or accelerated the course of quality of clinical care in audiology and/or speech-language pathology.
- The individual need not be a member of a professional association but should exemplify the ideals of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association and its advocacy for effective human communication.
View past Kleffner Award recipients and their achievements.
All nominations for the 2016 Kleffner Award must be submitted through the online submission system. For instructions on how to start your nomination, please see the Submission Procedures below. Since the Review Panel is dependent upon the information provided, it is important that the required materials are prepared carefully. Absence of requested information will automatically exclude any potential candidate from consideration.
Nominators must complete the online Nomination and Summary Form and upload the prepared Nomination Document, according to the instructions provided.
- Nomination and Summary Form (online)
For this form on the online submission system, nominators will be asked to provide the following information:
- Nominee's contact information
- Nominators contact information
- Summary Statement: In three sentences or less, state why this individual was nominated, highlighting the specific achievement.
- Nomination Document (one PDF file, limit 15 pages)
The following required components should be compiled into one PDF file for submission.
- Nomination Narrative (addressed to Review Panel), including the following section headers (limit 5 pages):
Case for Support (limit 10 pages): Provide evidence of support for the nomination through a minimum of three letters of recommendation. These letters should be from audiologists, speech-language pathologists, or related professionals and, where appropriate, from a recipient of services (a family member of individual served).
Nominee's vita. (The nominee’s vita is not counted as part of the 15-page limit.)
- Education and Career Summary: A summary of candidate's education and career, including academic and professional honors received.
- Specific Contributions and Significance: A description of the nominee's specific contributions to clinical services (described in sufficient detail to distinguish these from generic activities). Indicate the corresponding significance of the effects of those contributions, especially as they relate to items 2, 3, and 4 in the Criteria for Selection section.
All sections of the Nomination Documents must be uploaded as ONE sequential PDF file. Font size should be set at 12 point, non-compressed font with margins of at least one (1) inch. The Nomination Documents should be single spaced and will be limited to not more than fifteen (15) pages. The nominee's vita is not counted as part of the 15-page limit.
Nominations are now being accepted and the online
submission system will close at 11:59 p.m. ET on April 11, 2016.
No extensions will be granted beyond the April 11 deadline. Confirmation that your submission has been received will be sent by e-mail.
Please direct questions to the ASHFoundation Program Administrator at 301-296-8703 or [email protected].